History

In 1855, a group of Protestant Czech families settled near Fayetteville in Ross Prairie. The settlers had such well-known family names of today as Hruska, Jecmenek, Sebesta, Mikeska and Chupik.  Desiring to have Czech worship services, the settlers called upon Rev. John Zvolanek, who lived forty miles away at Austin’s San Felipe-on-the-Brazos. Services were held in the Ross Prairie area in the homes of the settlers, and Rev. Zvolanek’s preaching is recognized as the first Czech Protestant preaching in the state of Texas. In 1874, a church was built on land donated by Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Jecmenek. The approximate cost of constructing the church was $1,200.00. The church was remodeled in 1924, 1957 and 1998. In 1999, the Texas Historical Commission declared the Fayetteville Brethren Cemetery as an Official Historical Texas Cemetery. In 2005, the members held a Sesquicentennial (150 years) Celebration of service to the Savior.

Pastors Who Have Served:

1855 – 1859        Rev. John Zvolanek

1859 – 1870        Rev. Josef Opocensky

1870 – 1874        No records as to who preached

1874 – 1876        Rev. L.G. Chlumsky

1876 – 1921        Rev. Henry (Jindrich) Juren

1921 – 1935        Rev. Anton Motycka

1935 – 1936        Rev. Frank Horak, Sr.

1 year                    Rev. Joseph Hegar

1937 – 1939         Rev. Josef A. Barton, Sr.

1939 – 1954        Rev. Henry Beseda, Sr.

1951 – 1955        Rev. Henry Beseda, Jr.

1955                     Rev. Daniel Marek (Student Assistant)

1955 – 1956        Rev Josef Barton, Jr.

1957 – 1971        Rev. Jesse Skrivanek

1960s                   Rev. Albert Michalik

1960s                   Rev. Frank J. Kostohryz

1971 – 1983        Rev. Gordon Hejl

1983 – 1985        Rev. James Hejl

1985 – 1986        Rev. Gary Olson

1985 – 1986        Rev. W.C. James

1986 – 2011        Rev. Milton Maly

2011 – July 2016     Rev. Kay Polasek